[bcbirdclub] Snowy Egret Photo

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 23:51:22 -0400

After being alerted by Ed Talbott III to the Snowy Egret being on the Levisa
River near the mouth of Buckeye Hollow Lynda and I drove down and found the
bird standing in the middle of the river. There was no place to pull off for
photos so I caught a lull in the traffic and stopped in the middle of the
highway to quickly take several shots, while Lynda kept a watch for traffic
behind us. I would have taken more, but a coal truck came speeding into sight
so I thought flight was the better part of valor considering the situation.

Below is one of the photos I took. The yellow feet and lores, the neck plumes
and the bill coloring all point to this indeed being the first Snowy Egret
recorded in the county. Thanks and congratulations to Ed and Mary Talbott for
finding and reporting the bird so others of us could get a look at it.

JPEG image