[bcbirdclub] Smith's Longspur - Shenandoah Valley Airport

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 04:19:13 -0400

     Yesterday, Roger Mayhorn and I decided to try and add our names to the
Smith's Longspur's visitors book in Weyers Cave, VA.   This before it heads
back to northern Canada in a few weeks to hopefully start a family.  On the
drive up, in Narrows, VA we were lucky to find Common and Hooded Merganser
swimming alongside some Scaup in New River.  We also noted many perched
Red-tailed and Red-shouldered Hawks while traveling interstate 81.  Shortly
after arriving in Weyers Cave we found and photographed the Longspur, many
Horned Larks, E. Meadowlarks and a Northern Harrier.  After meeting and talking
to some very nice birders there, we decided to follow in our fellow birders'
footsteps and try for the nearby Trumpeter Swan and again struck gold.  Also,
at Silver Lake we were treated to some rare closeup views of American Pipits.
    Two weekends, two great birding adventures!  What more could a guy ask for?

Daryl Owens,
Oakwood VA

Sent from my
For Buchanan County Bird Club