[bcbirdclub] Small Heron Nesting Site

  • From: John Kelly <johnpeterkelly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BCBC Listserve <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 09:22:29 -0400

Over the past few years, we've noticed some Great Blue Heron activity on a
ridge just south of Abingdon on Rt. 75. On Friday night, we spotted about
4 nests and 3-4 birds. This is the approximate location of the nests:

https://goo.gl/maps/sGSzc

The spot can be viewed from the Highlands Fellowship parking lot:

https://goo.gl/maps/PlDh6

We'll keep an eye on things until the leaves come in.

--John and Sheri
Abingdon, VA

Editor's Note: The herons appear to be of normal stature; the nesting site
itself is "small" in comparison to others locally. SAH.