[bcbirdclub] Sharp-shinned Hawk on the Hunt

  • From: Roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:05:12 -0400 (EDT)

This evening while I was talking to Don Carrier on the phone. I looked out of
the kitchen window to see our resident small Sharp-shinned Hawk sitting in
cherry tree just a few feet from the window. It then made a low swoop and went
under the azalea bush beside the yard stream. I could see branches shaking then
I saw a couple of birds come out on the side away from the hawk. The sharpie
was struggling to get out of the thick branches, but seemed to be stuck. I
quickly ran for my camera, but when I returned, the hawk was sitting on the
grass holding down a female cowbird it had just caught. (see first photo). In
the photo the tip of the cowbird's tail feathers can be seen just below the
hawk's right wing.

The hawk held that position for a couple of minutes until the cowbird stopped
moving. It then took to the air with its prey and glided down into the woods.
(see second fuzzy photo) The small sharpie was having trouble carrying the
bird. When it flew away it was only about 3 or 4 feet in the air. The relative
size of the cowbird to that of the hawk shows just how small this little raptor
is.