[bcbirdclub] Second DC Cormorant Sighting in Buchanan County

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:38:04 -0400

Hi Everyone,
I received a call this morning from Mary Talbott. Her husband, Ed Talbott II,
had discovered a Double-crested Cormorant on the Levisa river at Big Rock, VA
on October 20th. He saw the bird again last night (Oct 22) just at dusk. It was
perched atop a coal silo near the Big Rock bridge, just across the river from
the Big Rock Community Center (formerly the Big Rock Elementary School). Early
this morning Ed and Mary went back there and managed to get a photo of the bird
in silhouette. Before Lynda and I left the house Mary called back to say that
the bird had flown down the river toward the VA/KY state line. We drove down
and searched for it but could not find it again.

This is only the second reported sighting of this species in Buchanan County.
The first was on September 18, 2002 when Bob Riggs and I were birding here at
my place on Compton Mt and Bob looked up to see 10 DC Cormorants flying over.
Bob started laughing and said,"That's a sight you don't see every day in
Buchanan County".