[bcbirdclub] Scarlet Tanagers, Restarts

  • From: Michelle Talbott <mjtalbott625@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 11:03:18 -0700 (PDT)

Mom and I had a fantastic bird day Saturday at Guesses Fork. We hiked from her
house to the top of the hill that evening right before a rainstorm, and the
trees were hopping with warblers, tanagers, and thrushes. Scarlet Tanagers were
everywhere, both male and female. We took my little cousin, Jordan, who is 10
years old. At her first sight of a Scarlet through my binoculars, she gasped
with delight. We stopped counting Redstarts at 12, and we actually saw eight of
them. Most of the species we saw were feeding relatively low in the foliage,
even the Cerulean Warblers, which are notorious for foraging in the tiptops of
trees. We also logged Blue-winged, Ovenbird, Black-and-White, Yellow-throated,
Yellow, and Hooded warblers. Numerous Wood Thrushes were also out and about,
filling the woods with their song.

  It seems that Redstarts are more numerous this year than ever before, or
maybe they are less secretive and more vocal this spring because of altered
feeding patterns or weather. Does anybody have a theory?

  Michelle

8:00? 8:25? 8:40?  Find a flick in no time