[bcbirdclub] Saturday's Breaks Bird Walk List

  • From: Roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 00:22:07 -0400 (EDT)

This is the species list for the bird walk this past Saturday led by David
Raines. Eight birders attended and had a great day of birding with beautiful
weather and a great variety of birds with eight species of warblers found along
with seven raptor species including a Peregrine Falcon at the State Line
Overlook.

It was nice having Bob Sweaney and Shirley along for the walk, and to finally
meet Bob face to face. Bob is a subscriber to the listserve and sometimes posts
some interesting birds from over in Pike County Ky. It was also a pleasure to
bird with newcomer Josh Blockmon of Pikeville. We hope he becomes a regular at
our outings.

After birding the Breaks Park part of the group drove over to Beaver Knob near
Elkhorn City Ky. There we found Common Ravens, and two Solitary Sandpipers that
were chased by a Merlin. Our biggest surprise came later on the Russell Fork
River when we found 3 Common Mergansers, a rather uncommon species for that
area.

Wood Duck 3
Mallard 1
Blue-winged Teal 2