[bcbirdclub] Rockcastle County, Kentucky

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 08:26:02 -0700 (PDT)

Buchanan Birders,

Chazzy and I decided to spend a day birding and hiking areas in Rockcastle
County, Kentucky yesterday morning.  The best bird of the day was a Bald Eagle
over Lake Linville but as I was driving at the time I did not have time to
switch lens and get a picture before it disappeared into the mist.  There were
quite a few Great Blue Herons on the lake and I suspect that the rookery across
from the boat dock had a successful year.  Not much in the way of other birds
to report but I did get some great looks at a Blue-winged Warbler as it foraged
in a small tree about 20 feet away.  Several Broadwing Hawks were active on
Horse Lick Creek and were circling and calling to each other....guess they are
gearing up to head south in a couple weeks.

For those interested, here is a link to some of my nature photographs from
yesterday:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/rock1

Ed Talbott
Richmond, KY