[bcbirdclub] Recent Sightings

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 15:20:00 -0400

Hi All,
Here are a few bird sightings over the last few days.
On Saturday morning a Canada Goose was feeding on grass seed tops in the median
in the middle of Grundy, very close to the traffic light at the intersection of
Rte 460 and Rte 83 (Slate Creek). The passing cars didn't seem to bother it.

A Worm-eating Warbler and Yellow Warblers have been coming regularly to our
yard stream here on the mountain. The female Orchard Oriole that nested here
has been seen often down in the clover in the lawn - Not sure if she is after
insects or nectar.

This morning at Deel, just where the four lane begins, Lynda and I saw four
Great Blue Herons in or near the river. The first was flying high above the
trees as it headed downstream. Within a couple of minutes two more flew by also
heading down stream and just a few yards above the water. The fourth was
standing in the shoals about 50 yards upstream of where the others were seen. I
wonder if these could be a family from a nearby nest.