[bcbirdclub] Raptors

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bcbc/bird'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 14:03:40 -0400

I had to go in to town and decided to return along Big Cedar Creek in hopes
of seeing an Osprey.  No luck on the Osprey, but I spotted an immature Bald
Eagle perched on a sycamore limb over the creek.  This was right at the old
dumpster site so there was a nice place to pull over for good looks.  About
the time I stopped, I spotted a large bird flying away from me up the creek.
I was pretty sure it was a second eagle.  As I was watching the perched
bird, the second bird flew back by going down the creek and it was indeed an
eagle.  As I continued watching the perched bird, the second one came back
up the creek and turned left away from me and flew out behind the houses
built along the creek.  It didn't return.

I finally started on home and soon saw a beautiful Red-tailed Hawk soaring
along with excellent lighting.  It was being harassed by a crow but seemed
unconcerned.

As a bonus, a Great Blue Heron flew by just as the red-tail disappeared
behind some trees.

Jerry