[bcbirdclub] Nov BCBC Meeting Canceled - Hinton Trip is on

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 10:02:22 -0500

The scheduled November 12 meeting of the Buchanan County Bird Club is canceled
due to the library being closed because of Veteran's Day.

However, our annual waterfowl and eagle trip To Bluestone Lake near Hinton, WV
this coming Saturday, Nov 10 is on. For those wishing to caravan we will meet
in the parking lot at the Claypool Hill Wal-Mart at 7:30 a.m. We will drive to
Bluestone Lake using Rt 20 from Princeton, passing Pipestem State Park along
the way. We will be met at the pull off at the Lilly Bridge at the lake by
members of the Bibbee Nature Club between 9:00 and 9:30.

We will bird along the lake then drive to Bellepoint Park just below the
Bluestone Dam to look for ducks, geese, cormorants, herons, shorebirds and
raptors.
We will eat lunch at the Hinton Dairy Queen which has a glass walled dining
room that is built out over the new river. We often see waterfowl, Great Blues,
etc while we eat.
Either before or after lunch, depending on the time, we will drive to nearby
Mountain Valley Lake which is a great spot for waterfowl, sparrows and
sometimes eagles.
In the afternoon we will drive along the New River to Sandstone Falls, stopping
to view waterfowl and other birds along the way. If you have one, bring a small
handheld radio set to Channel 5 so we can alert each other to sightings as we
caravan along the river.

Wear warm clothing. The morning will be cold.
Anyone is welcome to attend. You don't have to be a club member.

Roger Mayhorn
BCBC President