[bcbirdclub] More on the Cove

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BCBC'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 17:46:32 -0400

When I posted the list of Cove sightings for Saturday's trip, I forgot to
report one of the highlights of the day.  We were watching a pasture when
about 5 Barn Swallows flew in.  One was carrying a white feather.  It
climbed above the other birds and dropped the feather.  The others flew
towards it and one grabbed.  It then proceeded to climb and drop with
another catch.  This went on for several minutes with the feather changing
beaks perhaps a dozen times before one of the birds grabbed the feather and
flew off with it.  A quick internet search suggests that Tree Swallows do
this perhaps as competition for nesting materials and another source says
swallows (non-specific) may play catch with feathers to teach young how to
snag insects.  At least one of the birds on Saturday was a youngster.
Whatever the reason, it was a very entertaining demonstration.

Also as regards the size of the list, Laverne suggested that a possible
reason is the extremely varied habitat.  It included farmyards, fence rows,
farm fields, small wetland. wood edges, brushy fields, stream. deciduous
forests, mountain ridges, and ravines.

All in all, a great outing.

Jerry