[bcbirdclub] Magee trip

  • From: Daniel Kendrick <kendridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan county bird club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 18:11:22 -0400

I had the opportunity to bird Metzger Marsh, Magee Marsh and a few other roads
in that area yesterday as I'd worked for 3 days previous in Ann Arbor Michigan.
Obvious to the fact that spring migration had passed, I thought it might be
interesting to visit any way.
My first stop was Metzger and I saw Baltimore orioles, common terns, trumpetor
Swans, swallows galore. I did however see the Glaucous Gull that Kenn Kaufman
had posted June 15th in Ohio rare bird alert. Another neat fine was a family of
Common Moorhens. While my photo is not very good, you can see make out probably
5 or 6 chicks.
My next stop was Veller Road. Besides a couple of Kestrels, a bald eagle, what
I found the most interesting was a wet boggy area that contained at least 60
Great Egrets. This was the place that my cousin David Raines and I had seen the
Wilson's Phalarope a couple of years ago.
My next stop was Magee and this was extremely eerie...I was totally alone on
the boardwalk. Usually surrounded by hundreds and indeed the birding was
meager, I still saw warbling vireos, yellow warblers, heard a couple of
prothonarys, a yellow billed cuckoo, 553 robins, 614 Common grackles and 711
Red wing Blackbirds. Oh yeah, I was also joined by 100 or so biting flies and
mosquitos.
Regardless, it was still an interesting visit with 46 species in all.
Dan Kendrick