[bcbirdclub] Late post from Sunday 3/13

  • From: "David & Susan Raines" <rainbrk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:09:26 -0400

Dad & I took advantage of the gorgeous weather by visiting the Riverwalk in
Elkhorn City,KY on Sunday. We were pleased to find a lot of bird activity in
the area. Of course the domestic ducks & the big barnyard Goose that hang out
there welcomed us. We also saw several Mallards & the one lone Coot we've seen
all winter. A group of 5 Tree Swallows actively worked the air-space over the
river, while in the distance Turkey Vultures could be seen soaring over the
mountains. Viewing the vultures brought me to discover a Raven circling.
Following the raven w/my Canon12X IS binoculars I was able to watch it fly to a
large cliff & perch near a pocket in the rock that has nesting material hanging
out of it. I actually could see another Raven raise up from the nest, briefly
before settling back down in the nest. The cliff is located on the mountain to
the west of the riverwalk to the left of the large power line crossing. We also
saw a Yellow-rumped Warbler working it's way through the greening branches of a
Weeping Willow & a Phoebe singing from the cliff directly across the river from
us. Robins,Blue Jays,Cardinals & a Carolina Wren were present while a Cooper's
Hawk was seen flying up the river. Of course, being right in town we also had
the "big three"[Pigeon,Starling,House Sparrow] as well. Get out & enjoy the
birds,DaveR/Breaks,VA