[bcbirdclub] Horned Larks - Poplar Gap

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 16:21:28 -0400

     Today while out running errands I decided to drive up to Poplar Gap to
look around.  I was hoping to see the Horned Larks that usually nest there and
was not disappointed.  I did indeed find several and one female was carrying
what looked to be nesting material as her bill was full of dried grass.  Also
present were an American Kestrel, Killdeer and Eastern Meadowlarks.  Didn't see
the Northern Harrier so I guess it has John Flanningan Dam and Breaks
Interstate Park to see if any waterfowl was present but struck out there.
Attached are some so-so photos from Poplar Gap.

Daryl Owens

Dismal River

Oakwood VA