[bcbirdclub] Hawks and Sapsucker

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 00:04:01 -0500

Hi All,
Yesterday with sunshine melting some of our snow and temperatures in the low
40's I went for a hike here on the mountain. The first bird that got my
attention, as I stepped outside, was a Red-shouldered Hawk circling and calling
overhead. Later in the neighbor's pasture were two Red-shouldereds, probably
the resident pair that nests in the area each spring. It's nearing the time
when they start their aerial courting acrobatics just before settling down to
nest and raise their young.

The male Yellow-bellied Sapsucker that has been here all winter finally found
the suet feeder yesterday. That makes 4 species of woodpeckers that are now
coming to our suet feeders. The other 3 are Downys, Hairy and Red-bellied.
Actually it's not really suet they're eating but a mixture of lard, peanut
butter, flour and corn meal.

The bluebirds are now checking out our bluebird boxes. We usually find the
first nest during the first week of April, but sometimes the last week of March.