[bcbirdclub] Grosbeaks and Orioles

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 19:29:10 -0400

Hi Everyone,
The grosbeaks were back again today. We had 10 males on the feeder at one time
with 4 females coming and going.
The White-crowned Sparrow was back and we are still seeing a couple of
White-throated Sparrows.

A male Indigo Bunting was here but the cowbird horde wouldn't let him get near
the white millet that he prefers.

Two Baltimore Orioles were in the yard today; one adult male and one immature
female. They were both coming to sip the nectar from the flowers of the Trumpet
Honeysuckle bushes we have at the corner of the front porch. This is the first
year I have ever seen them do that. A few days ago an Orchard Oriole was doing
the same thing. I could be wrong, but I believe it is because of the lack of
their natural foods this year. A lady in Tennessee is feeding them jelly in
empty orange halves. She says they love it.

Here are a couple of photos of the grosbeaks. The first one was taken today.
The second one was taken yesterday. I believe there are 13 grosbeaks in that
photo.

JPEG image

JPEG image