[bcbirdclub] Greenville Birding Trip

  • From: "Don Carrier" <donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 20:54:03 -0500

My son Christian and I traveled to Greeneville TN today to do some birding.
We went to Joachim Bible Refuge part of Lick creek bottoms WMA. As soon as I
got out of the car a loggerhead shrike landed not 15 feet away. Savannah
sparrows were as thick as mosquito's. Northern Harriers scanned the field on
both sides of the road. Meadowlarks were everywhere. The power lines were
dotted with Kestrels. Flocks of red-winged blackbirds passed that lasted for
several seconds. As we hiked through the marshy fields we came upon some
ponds that were probably formed by recent rains. These ponds contained
probably the largest concentration of ducks I have encountered. There were
hundreds of Northern Pintails, hundreds of mallards, and at least 100
American Widgeons. Also one lone Snow Goose. A couple hundred Canada Geese
joined in for good measure. With the svelte swagger of a full grown bull
moose I headed for the ponds. I now understand the challenges of duck
hunting. After walking for at least 5 miles (1/4 mile) through the marshy
grasses the ducks simultaneously launched into the air. The calls were so
mixed it was hard to tell but I am sure at least one made a raspberry sound
in my direction as he flew out of site. We saw where the ducks were headed
and not to be outdone we plotted a new course and after a 10 mile hike (1/2
mile) we were rewarded with the fleeting raspberries.

Don