[bcbirdclub] Great-horned Owl - Dismal

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:34:41 -0400

This morning about 5:00 am when I left for work,  I heard a strange noise that
I would describe as a squawk up in the woods across the road from my house.  It
sounded as if it was fairly close and went on for about thirty seconds.  It
also varied in pitch and tone at times.  I was, to say the least, puzzled.  I
tried to listen to several different owl calls and couldn't find one that fit
on iBird.  I did manage to get one vocalization recorded on my phone.  This
evening, I checked some more sources and found a match on the Audobon app.  It
calls it an alarm "bark" for a Great-horned Owl.  I'm interested to know if
anyone else has heard these calls before?  You can bet I'll be out there in the
morning with my speaker in hand to see if I can get a response!  I'll see if I
can attach the recording to another email.

Daryl Owens
Oakwood VA

Sent from my
For Buchanan County Bird Club