[bcbirdclub] Re: Great Blue Heron Rookery, Pounding Mill, VA

  • From: roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: daryl owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 20:02:37 -0400 (EDT)

Nice Daryl, Thanks.

From: "Daryl Owens" <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 6:36:51 PM
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Great Blue Heron Rookery, Pounding Mill, VA

As reported earlier some of us had stopped and viewed the Great Blue Heron
Rookery just passed Cuz's restaurant on Rte. 460/19 at Pounding Mill, Tazewell
County VA.  Last week I spotted a second set of nests in a Sycamore tree about
a half mile west of the other Rookery.  There appears to be at least ten to
twelve more nests in this tree.  Today I stopped to view it and sure enough
there were birds using these nests as well.  If you're planning to view this
"satellite" rookery it is, as I said, approximately .5 miles back toward
Claypool Hill from the other.  Once you pass Cuz's restaurant look to the
right.  The Sycamore is partly obscured by other trees and is about 75 yards
from the highway.  There is adequate shoulder to pull off the highway and, of
course, much closer viewing than the other.  If anyone has questions about the
location email me and I'll try to answer.

Daryl Owens
Oakwood VA

Mailing List For Buchanan County Bird Club
website: www.bcbirdclub.org
Archives: //www.freelists.org/archives/bcbirdclub
Administrative contact: donc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx