[bcbirdclub] First Of the Year Spring Arrivals - Compton Mt

  • From: roger mayhorn <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 14:48:27 -0400 (EDT)

Today was evidently the day for spring birds to arrive here on the mountain. We
awoke to find two FOY Brown Thrashers in the yard. Evidently they are males,
because  a short time later they were both  in separate  tree tops over in the
neighbor's pasture challenging each other with song .

Later in the morning I looked at the Purple  M artin house with binoculars and
saw a FOY  male martin sitting in one of the gourds. Shortly after there were
two males.

While I was watching the martins three FOY Tree Swallows flew to one of the
bluebird boxes and started checking it out. The local bluebirds won't be happy
though there are enough boxes to go around .

Our FOY Chipping Sparrow came in last Sunday on the 23rd when Fred and Janice
Martin were  visiting. Janice had come in hopes of seeing a Fox Sparrow which
would be a lifebird for her. She wasn't disappointed. A Fox Sparrow gave her
several long looks, sometimes hopping in the grass not far from the glass
dining room door. BTW, Janice can do a pretty good lifebird dance. lol

Here are three photos of some arrivals .