[bcbirdclub] Eastern Screech Owl, Purple Finch

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 08:45:15 -0800 (PST)

I had some time yesterday for a brief birding trip to the Elk Garden, Mountain
Road area of Russell County. The red morph Eastern Screech Owl was sitting on
it's front stoop enjoying the sun on Mountain Road. It has been seen at this
location for at least 4 years. There was also a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in the
same area.
Back at the house, I saw the first male Purple Finch I have seen in over a
year. We usually have a small flock that visits our feeders every winter but
they did not show last year. We still have 50 plus Pine Siskins eating every
seed in sight.
 Tom
Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club