[bcbirdclub] Buchanan Bird Club Central Ohio Chapter Bird Day

  • From: Bob Riggs <bob26@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 22:04:42 -0400

Annie and I tried to add some birds to our 100 Species in 100 days within 100
miles challenge for 2014.  Glad we did it was definitely a waterfowl and raptor
day.  The biggest wow came at a five acre pond called Haul Road Pond.  There we
located an active Bald Eagle nest with two adults at the nest.  Within one
hundred yards of the Bald Eagle nest was an active Great Horned Owl nest with
one adult and two Owlets in the nest.  Wonder what each was thinking as they
looked at each other A diurnal and nocturnal predator nesting next to each
other who would have thought.  There was Red necked grebes and other waterfowl
on the pond.  We did experience a meeting of mergs on the Scioto River at
Greenlawn Dam.  All three species Common, Red breasted and Hooded were in
attendance with more than fifty individuals.  Lots of Red tails soaring
northward we saw eight soaring together at one time.  Complete list of the day
follows.

Canada Goose
Wood duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green wingedTeal
Canvasback
Redhead
Ring necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Hooded Merganser
Common Merganser
Red breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Wild Turkey
Horned Grebe
Red necked Grebe
Double crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle 2
Sharp Shinned Hawk
Coopers Hawk 2
Red Shouldered Hawk
Red tailed Hawk 16
American Kestrel 3
Peregrine Falcon
American Coot
Killdeer
Ring billed Gull
Herring Gull
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Great Horned Owl with chicks
Red bellied Woodpecker
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker
Downey Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Yellow rumpled Warbler
American Tree Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White throated Sparrow
Dark eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Red winged Blackbird
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow
We added four species to the list and brought our total to 96.  Good birding to
you all!

Bob & Annie (Bebirding)

Robert D. Riggs
List For Buchanan County Bird Club