[bcbirdclub] Breaks birding Saturday

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2015 15:33:49 -0400

Today I was joined at the Breaks Park by a very nice birder who is new to our
area. His name is Josh Blackmon and he recently moved from Texas to Pikeville,
Ky. Despite the cool temps this morning the birds were very active. While
waiting for Josh to arrive I saw and heard five species of woodpecker including
Sapsucker, Downy, Hairy, Pileated and Flicker. We later added a Red-bellied to
round out the woodpeckers. When Josh arrived we headed to Laurel Lake where we
found seven Red-breasted Mergansers, five Pied-billed Grebes, a pair of Wood
Ducks and both Northern Rough-winged and Tree Swallows. The Beaver Pond
produced another pair of Woodies, Great Blue Heron and Belted Kingfisher. At
Stateline Overlook we had Red-shouldered Hawk, Turkey Vulture and Common Raven
in the air together. Also at Stateline we found our first Warbler, a singing
Pine Warbler. We then headed to the Garden Hole where we found Louisiana
Waterthrush (FOS), Blue-headed Vireo and a surprise Black-throated Green
Warbler (FOS). I've included a fuzzy digiscoped pic of the Mergansers and also
one of the blooming Dutchmans Breeches we found at the Garden Hole.

Daryl Owens
Oakwood VA

JPEG image

JPEG image