[bcbirdclub] Birding NY & VT

  • From: "Dave Worley" <trooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 06:58:08 -0400

I got up early yesterday and drove from upstate New York to Vermont for a day
of birding.

The only bird worth mentioning in NY was Wild Turkey.

It was slow in VT as all the state parks were still closed and access was
limited everywhere.  I did however get some good birds.

After riding on back roads and walking a few times, I found
over a dozen Baltimore Orioles, a Willow Flycatcher, two Cackling Geese,
Bobolinks, two Rough-legged Hawks, a Peregrine Falcon, two Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers, numerous Wild Turkeys and a Broad-winged Hawk.

Both Cackling Geese were mated with Canada Geese so I had good looks and was
able to easily see the differences.
Both had two young with them.

I only had 33 species all day.

Best spot of the day was Dead Creek WMA.

Dave Worley
visiting upstae NY & VT