[bcbirdclub] Birding Bull Mt, Beaver Knob

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 18:20:21 -0400

Hi All,
On Saturday David Raines and I birded first, the marsh on the west side of Bull
Mt and second, Beaver Knob. We had 61 species for the day, including some I
picked up after David and I separated.
As we slogged around in our rubber boots in the Bull Mt Marsh we were hoping
for Black-billed Cuckoos or a possible Prothonotary Warbler, but no luck. We
did get a Sedge Wren, which was a pleasant surprise. Unfortunately the wren hid
before I could get a picture. We also saw Am. Redstart, Black-and-white
Warblers, Black-throated Green Warbler, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Blue-headed
Vireo, Common Yellowthroat, Great Crested Flycatcher, Hooded Warbler, Louisiana
Waterthrush, Northern Parula, Ovenbird, Red-eyed Vireo, Broad-winged and
Red-shouldered Hawk, Ruffed Grouse, Scarlet Tanager, White-eyed Vireo, Wood
Thrush, Yellow-throated Warbler, and Yellow Warbler,

At Beaver Knob the Field Sparrows and Grasshopper Sparrows were singing, as
well as a Yellow-breasted Chat. We also got a White-crowned Sparrow there.
After I dropped David off I stopped by Ed Bailey's farm on Middle Fork, which
is on the same road as David's. There I found Barn Swallows, an Eastern
Kingbird, a couple of Eastern Phoebes, a singing Eastern Meadowlark and the
Bobwhite that David was telling us about. The Bobwhite was so tame it came
right up to us and ate bits of bread that Ed threw down for it. It then began
to do its three note Bobwhite call. Sometimes the first note was so low it was
hardly audible, even from only a short distance away.

After I left Ed's I stopped to visit Frank Stiltner on Bull Mt. As Frank and I
were talking two pairs of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks came in to feed at Frank's
feeders, as well as some other regulars. A Hairy Woodpecker was feeding in a
nearby tree.

Later in the evening I stopped by Johnnie and Betty Ratliff's place at the
mouth of Little Prater. There I saw Purple Martins and both Baltimore and
Orchard Orioles.

It was nice day to be out in spite of the sometimes rain.

Here are a couple of photos of the Bobwhite. In the second picture he isn't
missing a leg. He just has it held up in his body feathers.

JPEG image

JPEG image