[bcbirdclub] Bird Song and Sun Dogs

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan Birds <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:51:29 -0800 (PST)

Buchanan Birders,

I had to work at the pharmacy this Saturday morning but on the drive in I saw
the brightest Sun Dogs I have ever seen - the conditions must have been perfect
as there were two bright spots of vivid color on either side of the sun and a
faint band of light that circled around the sun.  Also, the birds were singing
in the mild temps this morning and I identified several species on my short
walk from the parking lot to the hospital.  I took all this as a sign that this
interminable winter may indeed have an end.

If only I had had my camera this morning.....

Here is a picture of a Sun Dog I took over Beartown Mountain in Russell County,
VA in 2007 but it was nowhere as vivid as the ones this morning:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/image/91010906

Ed