[bcbirdclub] Bald eagles, Bluestone Lake

  • From: Daryl Owens <daryl.owens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Buchanan County Bird Club <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 09:08:30 -0500

     Saturday, the family and I decided to take one of our rambling trips and
ended up in Hinton WV again.  Emma had not been there so we decided to treat
her with a trip to Bluestone Lake and Sandstone Falls.  We stopped at one of
the pulloffs just past the Lilly Bridge where we got a great look and a decent
digiscope pic of a sub-adult Bald Eagle, which excited the whole family.  After
lunch at DQ we proceeded to Bellepoint Park where the water level was up due to
generation so we didn't see much other than a couple of Buffleheads, Killdeer
and another Immature Bald Eagle.  We then headed for Sandstone Falls where we
saw two more perched immature Bald Eagles and one adult Bald Eagle near the
nest on the island in the river.  This brought our total Eagle count to five.
There weren't many ducks on the river, Canada Geese, Mallards, Scaup and one
pair of Common Goldeneye which was a lifer for me.  It was a great day that
ended on a sour note when I fell victim to a kidney stone attack and had to
stop at the ER in Princeton.  All is well this morning though as I think I
passed it last night.