[bcbirdclub] Another Good Waterfowl Day

  • From: "Jerry Thornhill" <mjt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bcbc/bird'" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 17:49:19 -0400

This has been the best year for waterfowl in this area that I can remember.
Of course, I have trouble remembering much these days.  Jane & I decided to
go up to the Mud Fork area of Tazewell County to check on the road into her
old home place there and the picnic shelter we have been building there to
see if they survived the winter.  Since we were in the area, we stopped by
Witten Lake.  We found a Common Loon and a Pied-billed Grebe.  As Daryl
would say, I've attached a picture for ID purposes on the loon.  I have a
much better one, but I didn't want to embarrass Mike after his feeble
effort.

After we left the home place, we decided to go to the upper end of Mud Fork
to Falls Mill Lake.  Along the way, we had a beautiful Cooper's Hawk fly
into a tree by the road and give us a great look.

At Falls Mill, we found Greater Scaup (M/F pair), Ring-necked Duck (2 M/1
F), Blue-winged Teal (M/F pair), Mallard (1 M), Canada Goose (many),
Pied-billed Grebe (2), and American Coot (65+).  The highlight there were 7
Ruddy Ducks (3 M/4 F) with the males in breeding plumage.  This is only the
second time I've seen ruddies in breeding plumage and by far the best look
I've ever had.  The attached picture doesn't do them justice.  I've also
attached a picture of the ring-neck pair with a coot in the background.

A very pleasant outing.

Jerry