[bcbirdclub] 5 Baltimore Orioles, Warblers, Grosbeaks, Bunting

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan County Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 10:17:22 -0400

Hi All,
This morning when I went outside I heard the song of a Baltimore Oriole. I
found the bird in the apple tree in the backyard with 5 other Baltimore
Orioles, 5 males and 1 female. Also in the tree was a Rose-breasted Grosbeak
and then a male Bluebird flew in. The tree looked decorated.

All together there were 40 species on the property. A Palm Warbler was feeding
in the grass. An American Redstart, Red-eyed Vireo, Hooded Warblers, Wood
Thrushes and Ovenbirds were singing in the woods. A Nashville Warbler was
feeding in the top of a tall Maple. Eight male Grosbeaks and a couple of
females were at the feeders. An Indigo Bunting flew in for a few minutes. Brown
Thrashers and Catbirds were coming to the suet (peanut butter mixture).

I saw a Pileated fly by in the woods. A Hairy was feeding nearby, and both
Red-bellied and Downys were coming to the feeders. A female Scarlet Tanager was
working a tall Oak. Yellow Warblers were singing in at least two different
areas. Two male Hooded Warblers were squabbling over territorial boundaries. At
least 6 Ruby-throats were visiting the feeders and Tree Swallows were making
trips to one of the large gourds hanging from the martin house. Song Sparrows
were singing and White-throated Sparrows were feeding on the ground. A single
White-crowned Sparrow with brilliant white head stripes was feeding under the
gooseberry bush.

Add in the morning sunshine, the warm temperatures and the time to bird and you
have the makings of a great day.

Following is the complete list

Good Birding,
Roger Mayhorn

American Crow 1

American Goldfinch 7 (5m, 2f)

American Redstart 1m

American Robin 4m

Baltimore Oriole 6 (4 adult m, 1 juv m, 1f))

Blue Jay 1

Brown-headed Cowbird 3 (2m, 1f)

Brown Thrasher 1

Carolina Chickadee 2