[bc-rfbd-beta] New Update

  • From: "Jackie M." <xercon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bc-rfbd-beta@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 23:25:15 -0800

Katie,

As a beta tester, should I download the newest Book Courier update?  Or is
the update we downloaded last week the same as the newest update?

A couple responses regarding my testing so far:

1. In the two-disk history book that I transferred part of, I notice that in
several places, the words are clipped; some are missing a syllable or two.
When it is a number, that syllable can be crucial.  I also think that the
more I am jumping around in the file, using the various navigation levels,
the more the word clips appear.  Is that my imagination?  I don't know
whether the word clips are in the original disks or not.

2. The only navigation level that is working as advertised is page
navigation.  Phrase navigation is working the same as page navigation - in
other words, in phrase navigation it goes from page 20 to page 21.  The
level 2 and level 3 navigation are not working in this history book.  I am
about to switch to the test book, Harry Potter.  (As you may recall, I
cannot use the test history book because there was a filter error when I put
the second disk in.)

3. Two things are driving me nuts.  As a student, I like to take notes.  To
do that, I need to go back a few words or a sentence or two.  I could not do
that with the navigation methods available in Book Courier.  Since only the
page navigation was working, I had to go back to the beginning of the page I
was on and listen to the whole thing till it reached the necessary point,
and hope I heard it right the second or third time.  Very slow and
inefficient.

4. Finally, not being able to speed up the book drives me crazy.  The
reading is way too slow to be of practical use in school or college.  One
has to cover too much material to listen to it this slowly.  Can't you offer
speedup possibilities?  Even if it causes words to be clipped?

- Jackie McCraw