BBspot Update - 9/21/01

  • From: Brian Briggs <briggsb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bbspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 12:25:09 -0400

----------------
NEW STUFF

Get your Xbox bundle now!
http://bbspot.com/Features/2001/09/xbox_bundles.html

White hat hackers defeat Taliban?
http://bbspot.com/News/2001/09/surrender.html

Geek Horoscopes...
http://www.bbspot.com/Features/2001/09/horoscopes20010921.html

What's the true story?
http://bbspot.com/comics/fuzzy_logic/2001/fuzzy20010918.html
---------------
SITE NEWS
-I've grappled for a long time with what to put in this update about the
past weeks events.   From emails I have received, I know there are
readers who have suffered directly and indirectly from the attacks.  My
heart goes out to all of you.

It's been very difficult to try to be funny in times like this.  I think
it is important to laugh even in times like these to help deal with the
anger and pain.  I know it's corny and maybe it's my way of dealing with
the whole issue, but I'm looking at it as my patriotic duty to get over
this and start writing funny stuff again.  I'll do my best.

More commentary on the evens can be found in the Log
(http://bbspot.com/Log/)

-After a mighty long wait I finally ripped the last Screen Savers
appearance (http://www.bbspot.com/toys/video/tss/tss_video2.wmv 1.9MB).
It's in Windows Media format (sorry).  In other TV news, I've been asked
back yet again to The Screen Savers. No date set yet. I'll let you know
when I do. (http://www.thescreensavers.com)

-If you are going to do some shopping at Amazon use this link
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/bbspot-20) and help out
BBspot in the process.  We receive 5% of the sale price when an item
ships.  With the advertising deteriorating even more, we need all the
help we can get.

-Last week's poll was "Life is like...".  A bag of dog crap, not
surprising given the times..  This week's poll - I'd like to have...
(http://bbspot.com/Polls/index.html)

------------------------------
LINKS OF THE WEEK

Here are my favorite 5 links from the BBspot Daily Spot section (updated
M-F) in case you missed them during the week.

Tragedy of the WTC spawned hoaxes already, here they are debunked.
http://purportal.com/special/9-11/

Psychology of the suicide bomber
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/issue_SeptOct_2001/sprinzak.html

A mother misses the point of her kid's trip.
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010919/od/gameboy_dc.html

Some interesting weapons
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/4321512

Star Wars episode III summary
http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/episode3.html
------------------------------
LINKER OF THE WEEK

Very nice weblog

http://babblogue.com/
------------------------------
QUOTES OF THE WEEK

If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without
bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not
too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with
all odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may
be even a worse fate. You may have to fight when there is no hope of
victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.
-- Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill

It will be a fighting force of extraordinary magnitude. You have our
gratitude.
-- Kentucky Fried Movie

OR

Use the convenient form on http://bbspot.com