Badges - PORAC'S WEBSITE HACKED

  • From: C D Rowsell <cd2u@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 00:07:07 -0700

From a letter from PORAC

 PORAC's website was attacked beginning in early April by hackers from an
internet address in Malaysia, followed by attacks from addresses in Egypt
and the Republic of Mauritius. The hackers gained access to our database of
RAM online applications. The database contains online applications going
back to December 2008, including yours. Your application contained the
information you provided in your online application, including your
retirement date, name, date of birth, address and phone number, email
address, PORAC membership number, prior Association name and Social Security
number. Although many of the applications contained credit card information,
yours did not.  Based on our investigation, it appears that the breach was
limited to RAM applications and we have no reason to believe that other
PORAC members were affected.

Anyone on the list a member of RAM take note.

Even though they have no reason to believe other PORAC members were
affected, if you are in PORAC, it is something to watch. Personally, I have
frozen all my Credit Bureau reports period. If I need to apply for something
for credit purposes, I can ask them which one they want to use and unfreeze
it for them. Then put the freeze right back on. My opinion of Credit
Bureau's isn't too high on my list of well run companies from the jump to
begin with.
So, my advice (and this is from someone who is a retired LEO and an assembly
language computer person too) lock EVERYTHING down. How often are you
applying for credit anyway?

CD

The Badges Law Enforcement Discussion Group - Est. 1997