Badges - HPD Plans To Lay Off Hundreds

  • From: CarlGlas@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 19:05:22 -0500

HPD Plans To Lay Off Hundreds
Mayor, Council Must Still Approve Plan
Thursday, April 21, 2011

HOUSTON -- Houston's police chief submitted a plan to the mayor
calling for hundreds of layoffs in the Houston Police Department in
light of the city's massive budget shortfall.

<http://www.click2houston.com/video/27630936/index.html>
[]
<http://www.click2houston.com/video/27630936/index.html>Video:
Hundreds Of HPD Officers, Employees Face Lay Offs

Chief Charles McClelland said he is planning to lay off 181 police
officers and 445 civilians, such as jailers and support staff. The
layoffs would be based on seniority.

"The numbers I just quoted to you are worst-case scenario. Best case
scenario -- I get additional funding and resources and I don't have
to lay anyone off. That it's a non-issue," McClelland said.

Employees would have to be notified 45 days in advance, and some are
expected to get word on May 12.

McClelland said he is concerned that the layoffs could impact public
safety because officers could be pulled off the streets to cover jobs
previously handled by civilians.

The police chief said 95 percent of his budget is personnel.

The mayor and the city council still have to approve the police chief's plan.

The Badges Law Enforcement Discussion Group - Est. 1997