Badges - Down to three in Chicago,,from the Sun-Times

  • From: CHK8093@xxxxxxx
  • To: TOPCOPS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, COPS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 09:30:12 -0400 (EDT)

Chicagoâ??s top cop search down to three finalists,  sources say
The competition to become Chicagoâ??s next police  superintendent has come
down to a three-man race between a veteran Chicago cop  and a pair of
outsiders, with a final decision possible later this week, City  Hall sources
said
Monday.
The top three are: Newark Police Chief Garry  McCarthy; national drug czar
R. Gil Kerlikowske and Chicagoâ??s deputy  chief-of-detectives Al Wysinger.
Mayor-elect Rahm Emanuel was asked Monday  whether an outsider can improve the
morale problems that dogged career FBI agent  Jody Weis.
â??My No. 1 goal â?¦ is what do we have to do to  reduce violent crime in the
city,â?? he said.
â??Iâ??m looking for a person who understands that the  beat officer is the
backbone of the law enforcement community. â?¦. The measure  is, how do we get
results and who is the right leadership to get results.â??
If Emanuel chooses to go with an outsider,  McCarthy appears to have the
edge.
Thatâ??s because of his background as a street cop  and the role he once
played as the driving force behind the CompStat program  credited with
dramatically reducing New York Cityâ??s homicide rate.
Under the program, police commanders are called  before a review board on a
monthly basis and held accountable for crime spikes.
McCarthy was a surprise finalist in the 2003  search that culminated in
Mayor Daleyâ??s appointment of Phil Cline.
At the time, the Police Board was willing to take  the heat for choosing
three whites as finalists because it was â??absolutely  dazzledâ?? by McCarthy.
â??We knew the ticket lacked diversity, but we also  felt strongly that if
Garry McCarthy could bring his experience to Chicago, it  would help address
our homicide rate, our drug and gang problems,â?? Police Board  President
Demetrius Carney said at the time.
â??He interviewed so well. His knowledge of the city  was just unbelievable.
He knew the top brass here. He knew and understood our  CAPS program. If we
could combine his CompStat with CAPS, what a strong city  weâ??d have.â??
Kerlikowske is a former Seattle police chief. But,  his current job as
national drug czar would likely make him more of a federal  bureaucrat in the
eyes of rank-and-file Chicago Police officers. That could be a  liability
after Weis.
The only hitch for McCarthy could be a 2005  disorderly conduct conviction
stemming from McCarthyâ??s attempt to get his  daughter out of a parking
ticket.
At the time, McCarthy and his wife had been  driving down New Jerseyâ??s
Palisades Parkway while their teenaged daughters  followed in another vehicle.
The McCarthy daughters separated from their  parents, stopped at a rest
stop and parked in a handicapped space without the  required placard.
When a pair of plainclothes Parkway police  officers issued a ticket,
McCarthyâ??s daughter allegedly explained that she had  an ankle injury caused
by a
prior accident and had been issued a placard, but  didnâ??t have it with her.

Garry McCarthy was then accused of driving up in a  police SUV, blocking
the unmarked New Jersey police car and engaging in a  shouting match with the
plainclothes officer. He was placed in handcuffs and led  away as a crowd
watched.
Wysinger earned his chops on the day in 2007 when  he ran down a gunman who
shot a woman in a West Side gangway near his  grandmotherâ??s 80th birthday
party. His appointment would almost certainly play  well with the
rank-and-file.
But, his level of experience pales by comparison  to McCarthy, who would be
surrounded Emanuel-style by a diverse team of insiders  to soften the blow,
City Hall sources  said.

The Badges Law Enforcement Discussion Group - Est. 1997