[AZ-Observing] Re: Will March 12 be the best night to observe PANSTARRS naked eye ??

  • From: "Jimmy Ray" <jimmy_ray@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:54:58 -0700

Hi JD,

Don't know about the measurements part but as others mentioned yesterday,
Panstarrs is fairly easy to pick up naked eye once one has found it. I do
wish the media would tell folks to go out with their bino's as it is not
only easy to find naked eye so will probably be a disappointment for folks
just stepping outside and looking up but has some very nice detail with
magnification. For me tonight, naked eye it simply looked like any other
star coming out in the twilight but with 9x60 binos it was fairly exciting.
Very much in line with Brent's observation last night, very bright core
quite a bit of arching dust tail. No real guess on length. As it sits in the
west and the only poor exposure for ASDOG, I can't put the micrometer on it
for any real measurements but I will take the mic with me to the AAMM and do
some there.

Thank you,

Jimmy Ray