[AZ-Observing] Re: Tonight

  • From: "Steven Dodder" <sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:18:21 +0000

Jeff wrote:

">
>As I have said before I have watched clouds roll in from the West
>only to dissipate as they approached overhead and then reappear to
>the East. This has happened many times and I have always wondered if
>there were some kind of bubble over me, perhaps rising hot air
>creates it."

There is a similar, let's call it "weather anomoly" over us at Stone Haven
Observatory.  On many, many stormy nights over the last 14 years, I have
watched lightning and rain pound the mountains less than a mile from my
house.  They will then dissipate directly overhead, only to resume their
violence on the mountain tops two miles to the north.  The "city" of
Maricopa will receive nearly double the rainfal we get in Hidden Valley.
It's just something about (extremely) local conditions that can affect
seeing.

I for one have found Jeff's claims debatable, until I look at my own
circumstances and experiences.  The difference being, he has data that show
his viewpoint, and I don't!  :-)

Steve and Rosie Dodder
sdodder@xxxxxxxxxxx
Visit my web site at http://www.stargazing.net/Astroman