[AZ-Observing] Re: The Street Formerly Known as Cherry Road

  • From: Tim Jones <tjmac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 09:20:57 -0700

On Jun 28, 2011, at 8:45 AM, Brad Geisler wrote:

> I am thinking about my first trip to Cherry Rd this weekend. Sounds cooler
> than Picket Post or Antennaes.

Definitely in the evening - not so much in the daytime...

> Coming from the east valley, it will be about a two hour drive, so I would
> prefer to sleep over.
> I know the area, but have never been down the road to the site. So, I am
> wondering the following.
>
> Is camping permitted in the area ?  Just car camping for me.

Absolutely, we all camp overnight quite regularly.  Tents, trucks, trailers.
Just be aware that there are no facilities, so you need to bring everything in.

> Will it be a zoo with non astronomy campers for the July 4th weekend ?

This site (officially called Hackberry Wash) is pretty off the beaten path, so
not to many non-astro fans turn up.  The only times we've seen others were in
some law enforcement training exercises.

> Are others planning to be there ?

I suspect there will be a few os uf over the weekend.

Tim