[AZ-Observing] Re: Supernova in M51

  • From: Howard Anderson <handy13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:53:57 -0700

Hi Bernard,

Excellent!  Great work!  Astounding how some small star so far
away can flare up so bright (while destroying everything in its
neighborhood?  Out to 30 light-years by some estimates?)

The supernova reminds me of a question I once had to answer in the Pentagon:
"Which does more damage, a three megaton device or three one
megaton devices?"  Answer is that a three megaton device covers MUCH
more area than three one megaton devices.  Never did find out why
exactly that question was being asked.  :-)  The Soviets once set off a
50 megaton
device when atmospheric testing was still being done.  It was originally
planned to be
a 100 megaton device but they scaled it down to reduce fallout!  There were
unconfirmed reports of people being blinded 50 miles away who accidentally
were looking in the direction of the blast.

Hopefully, there are no supernova candidates in our region of the galaxy
expected
to go off any time soon.  However I am seeing estimates that Gamma Ray
Bursters,
if accidentally aimed at us, can wipe everything out from 1500
light-year distances.

Life is a gift.  Instead of mothballing the space program, we should
be working on how to spread our civilization to other star systems.

Or, maybe it really doesn't matter given our insignificance when compared
with a galaxy.  :-)  And the fact that the energy requirements for reaching
a star are "astronomical".  :-)  We are probably stuck here?  Darn!

Thanks,

Howard

--

Thanks,