[AZ-Observing] Stars and a comet from Antennas

  • From: stevecoe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "az-observing@fre" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2010 06:17:41 -0400

OK, the clouds moved out and I got an observation of Comet Hartley (103P)

Oct. 1, 2010  Antennas site near Quartzsite, Az.  Seeing=5, Transparency=6

TV 102 27mm Panoptic this comet is pretty faint, pretty small and brighter
in the middle, it is passing near NGC 281, the Pac-man nebula.  The field
is very rich and the refractor at low power shows that easily.  Using the
14mm eyepiece to double the power to 60X shows the core much better and
now the comet is very little elongated, perhaps 1.2X1.  Averted vision
shows the elongated better and makes the comet somewhat larger.  This
observation is with a 40% illuminated Moon in the sky.

There are a few bugs, but I have not been bitten, just flying around.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe