[AZ-Observing] Something To Share (Astronomy Related)

  • From: "David M. Douglass" <dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 12:26:09 -0700

Every once in a while, I come up with an “unusual or outstanding image” (at
least to me…), which I like to share. This week has produced several of
those, but also, an unusual reaction on one from my wife (Jan). After I am
through processing my prior evenings images, she usually comes into the
office, and I show them to her. She generally gives the normal “oohs” and
“ahhs”, and “that one is nice”, but the other morning was different. On my
observing list from the night before, was NGC 4889 (C35), a small galaxy in
Coma Berenices, measuring about 3x2 arc minutes, and mag 11.4 (thus a faint
fuzzy). There were several (more than normal) very small “stars” in the
background, but I knew better.

I said “See all those small background stars ??”…
She says “Yes”
I say “Those aren’t stars. Those are all galaxies…”
“No way !” she says…    “Way !” I say.

I had done my homework! C35 is often referred to as “In the Coma Cluster”.
I had to look that up. Thank goodness for Google Search.
The Coma Cluster (obviously in Coma Berenices) is a large cluster of small
(to our FOV) galaxies, containing over 1000 identified galaxies. They are
about 321 million light years away…..

Using TheSkyX Pro, I can generate “views” for my various equipment, and can
also “plate solve” my images. Normally, when there is an available image of
a major object, that is included as well. But when you have something like
this, they “represent” the small galaxies with small red “ovals”. I had done
a “plate solve” of my image, and had it ready to show her….  This one really
got to her!

In my image, NGC 4889 (C35) is pretty small, and located pretty much center
(see plate solve marker). The TheSkyX Pro image projection (both eye piece
and CCD image)  are located to the lower left on the observing sheet. A
separate, larger scale image of the projection is shown below the
observation sheet.

If you are interested, you can see it all here:
http://www.az-douglass.net/astronomy/ngc4889-c35-03312013.htm

As usual, all comments are welcome. Clear Skies to all !

David M. Douglass
dmdouglass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (secondary)
david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (main)
Cell  (602) 908-9092