[AZ-Observing] Re: Sentinel Saturday Night

  • From: "Rotramel, Rick (AZ77)" <rick.rotramel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 10:48:28 -0700

        Telrad (Rick Tejera) wrote:

> quite a while and made several drawings at various powers. I also looked
> at it
> through several other scopes, including Steve Coe's 11' Nextstar, Rick
> Rotramels
> scope (I'm not sure what size he was using last night) among others.

I observed comet Linear 2002 T7 at Sentinel Sat. eve. It was in a triangle
of bright stars. (See C. Schurs' image via the link posted here by Tom P.) I
first viewed it in Rick Tejera's scope and he commented the coma was filling
up the triangle of stars. I then looked at his Telrad aim point and went
over and aimed my Schwaar 10" f 5.8 OTA on a recently acquired Bigfoot mount
on it's maiden voyage (for me) and first object. A very nice comet in the
eyepiece. Several eyepieces were used from 90x to 310x. The seeing limited
the 310x, 4.8mm Nagler view.

Another observation, a small galaxy in Monoceros, in AJ's 14", Coe's 11" and
Matt's new 12" f 5. Nice scope Matt, great image. I had to take part for one
object of this group of three observers looking at several objects in
Monoceros in tandem. A neat thing to listen to several feet away as you
observe in your own scope at something else.

I observed until 3:30 AM also and observed over 32 objects, 32 logged and
several more I didn't write down. A great night with lots of observers and
interesting conversations. I got my fix of dark sky after patiently waiting
several months of moiston & wind effects!

Rick R.
SAC