[AZ-Observing] SAC Deep Sky Database Version 7.70 is Ready

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:31:19 -0700

Howdy all;

The latest and greatest version of the Saguaro Astronomy Club deep sky
database is ready.  Version 7.70 is on the SAC web site:
www.saguaroastro.org <http://www.saguaroastro.org/>

It contains positions, magnitudes, sizes and lots of other information on
the brightest 10,000 objects in the sky.  With the help of many database
users (named in the documentation), we have the best version yet.  It has
been triple checked; I have learned a lot about using Excel, good and bad,
and now you may have a copy for FREE!

Along with the documentation is the database information in three formats;
Excel, simple text file and comma delimited.  That should provide anyone
trying to use the information a chance to import it into their favorite
program.

I will start and maintain an errata list on the web site that will be a
simple text file so that as we find errors or additions we can keep the
SAC Deep Sky Database as current as possible.  So, check in once in a
while to see if there are any updates you need to add to your version.
The only reason that the database is useful is that users are willing to
provide more information when they find a problem.

Also on the web site are the latest versions of the Double Stars (2100
pairs), Red Stars (over 300 stars) and Asterisms (110 named asterisms)
databases from SAC.

Clear Skies;

Steve Coe