[AZ-Observing] Request CCD Photometry Computer Help

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 12:10:34 -0700

This is a request for some computer work in getting data from images
taken by the AAVSO SRO (Sonoita Robotic Observatory).

The eclipse of EE Cep begins in January of 2009 and last a  couple of
weeks. The SRO will be taking 2 sets of BVRI images (8 images) each
available night starting a week or so before the eclipse to a week or
so after. These will be high quality calibrated images and archived
on the AAVSO web site. The images can be downloaded and uncompressed
and then looked at with a program such as AIP4WINs. The flux ADU
counts of EE Cep along with those of 3 comparison stars need to be
determined. The FITS header needs to be looked at and the UT
Date/Time, exposure time and HJD determined along with which filter
was used.  This will be a fairly long process, but not hard. Once
these data are determined I can input them into another program for
color correction and reduction to produce magnitudes for EE Cep for
each image.

While not difficult, it will take some dedication. It would involve
about an hours time for each set of images. If done each night that
would would be just an hour per night or day.  I have several days of
baseline data of EE Cep from the SRO now that can be used to
experiment with and test techniques.

This would be a chance to contribute real science and learn more
about CCD photometry. No telescope or CCD camera is required, but a
computer with a program that allows getting the flux ADU counts for
stars from a FITS image must be used. It is a great opportunity to
learn more and I will walk the person through and answer questions.

Please e-mail me directly if you  are interested. There will be at
least one paper generated and those helping will be listed as
co-authors.

Clear skies.

Jeff
--