[AZ-Observing] Observing at Wupatki tomorrow (Saturday night, 5/11)

  • From: "Brent A Archinal" <barchinal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: AZ-Observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 18:55:33 -0700

Once again, for those in or traveling to the northern Arizona area,
members of the Coconino Astronomical Society are planning to observe at
the Doney Picnic Area near Wupatki National Monument.  Our observing
session will be tomorrow night, Saturday, May 11.

Last Saturday night we had about 15 people present.  Even with some
apparent haze and occasional thin clouds we accomplished a lot of
interesting observing (as Bill Ferris has previously reported to this and
the "amastro" e-mail list).  We have only begun observing regularly at
this site this year, but skies have always been very good and are
certainly among the darkest I have seen in the (continental) U.S.  The
elevation is about 5400 feet, so temperatures are also much more moderate
than at Flagstaff.  The forecast low for Saturday night is 34 to 44 F.

Here are directions from Flagstaff: 1) From the Flagstaff Mall (at US 89
and I 40) proceed on US 89 north (toward the Grand Canyon) 26.2 miles and
turn right into Wupatki National Monument.  On US 89 just before the
entrance there is a "1 mile to Wupatki" sign, but the distance is more
like 9/10ths of a mile and the entrance is not obvious so watch for it
with care.  After
turning, a signboard on the right shows a map of the Monument if you
should wish to check. 2) Proceed 12.3 miles (well past the Lomaki ruins
turn on the left and the Citadel ruins pull-off on the right - the latter
currently barricaded), and turn right, onto a very short road ending in a
parking area.  A small wooden sign (saying something like "scenic view")
on the left marks this turnoff, but is hard to see in the dark.  If you
find yourself going down a steep curving hill (the Doney fault) you have
gone too far and need to go back.  GPS coordinates of the parking lot are
N35d31'55.0" W111d24'16.0".  This is about a 45 minute drive from
Flagstaff.  The Forest Service has further information and a map to this
site at: http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/volcanic/desertdoney_picnic.html .

Anyway, we hope to see some of you there.  If you have any questions about
this site (or CAS) please contact me at 928-526-6780, or by e-mail at
starry_nt@xxxxxxxx

Clear Skies!
- Brent Archinal

messages.  Thanks.