[AZ-Observing] Observing Report GCSP 2011 Day 6 - Communication Skills Not

  • From: Skylook123@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 13:18:46 -0400 (EDT)

Grand Canyon Star Party - DAY SIX - Communication Skills, Not

Location: Grand Canyon Visitor Center, South Rim of Grand Canyon, AZ, about
 340 miles north of home in Tucson, about 7000 ft elevation

Weather: Mid 80s in the afternoon, Low 50s when we quit at Midnight. Clear
skies for afternoon and evening, with local gusts to 40 and high wind
warnings.

Seeing and Transparency: Average for this location, so pretty good.

Equipment:
18â?? f/5 2286mm Teeter Telescope newtonian truss dob, Sky  Commander DSCs
10" Meade SCT on Atlas EQ-G mount
60mm Lunt LS60THa/B600  on Atlas EQ-G Mount

Duplicate temperature behavior from yesterday, although a bit warmer after
sunset.  Maybe I'm getting used to it.

Granddaughter Karina wanted us to set up the solar scope at the Market
Plaza in front of the Canyon Cafe, so after lunch I went over to the site and
picked up the mount head and we set up at a point where we could ambush the
most  traffic.  I am really getting spoiled by having Jessica and Karina
around  to set up.  All I need to do is stand back and act like a post.

We were set up by 1:30 and stayed about an hour and a half.  The  internal
thermometer in the Atlas mount head was reading 102 out in the hot sun  on
the concrete.  To paraphrase a famous saying, only mad dogs, Englishmen,  and
solar astronomers come out in the mid-day sun.  We did snag nearly 100
passers-by to view a fairly uniform distribution of small prominences and a
small sunspot cluster.

Events tonight let me know I have some communication shortfalls.  We  are
growing in our understanding of what we need to do to make this work.   We
have around 50 telescopes each night, and most of the astronomers are totally
cooperative with the National Park Service wishes for our staging and
setup.  Some well-meaning folks let me know that someone else is operating
beyond the fringe of perceived rules.  I really do appreciate being  informed
of
potential concerns.  The problem is that the informers don't  seem to be
aware, despite my circulation and attempt to explain the thinking and
motivation, of how the global plan is evolving.  NPS (not me!) asked that  one
group set up in the adjacent bus lot for several reasons.  First, they  are a
cohesive team of up to 14 telescopes who work as a group in an extremely
effective fashion.  Over their 20 years of participation with GCSP at  Yavapai,
they have crammed themselves into extremely close footprint to not  crowd
the rest of the astronomers.  With the tight quarters in the normal  parking
lot, being able to redirect a single group of 14 telescopes to a safety
valve location is helping the group as a whole.  Second, they have a  lighting
system for their setup that is a visible aim point for the night blind
visitors coming around the Visitor Center to our site, and also coming from the

opposite direction, from Mather Point after sunset.  The first four nights,
several hundred visitors each night did not get the opportunity to enjoy
our  presence because, frankly, we are invisible to the Mather Point
returnees.   The route to and from their vehicles does not go past our banner,
so
this  becomes a large share of our audience that is unaware of the event.  My
reaction is a "me" problem; I get somewhat annoyed at people who really are
trying to let me know that something is happening that might not be a good
thing, but I apparently haven't gotten the word out that NPS has specific
reasons they want that group of us to set up in the bus lot, and directed
that  they take the room they need to host their 14 instruments.  This may
seem  like two star parties for the astronomers, but it is really one star
party for  the park visitors, and the strategic location of that group on the
path from  Mather Point to the parking lots, while also being visible from the
Visitor  Center is making it work.  I really need to improve my
communication  skills.

We had a tour de force archaeoastronomy presentation by retired NPS
Interpretive Ranger Art Cloutier.  For twenty years earlier in his career  he
was
the "Chief Interp", as he phrased it, at Glen Canyon.  Having  retired and
returned to Page, Arizona, he now works as a volunteer at Glen  Canyon as
well as doing astronomy outreach around the area.  His talk was a  study on the
Paria Canyon Archaeo-Observatory petroglyph panels.  He goes  through, in
depth, the panel depictions and compares them with actual sky  configurations
at various times going back several thousand years.  I sure  learned to
look differently at cultural evolution and astronomy in the  area.

The wind gusts were too high for me to set up the 18", so we went with one
scope.  When I got back to the 10", Jessica was already in full swing on
Albireo.  When a gap in the crowd happened, I took her on her first "align
the telescope" learning session.  We also collimated the scope on the  way.
When we were done, we went to The Dumbbell.  The planetary  nebula story
always gets a good reaction from visitors as they grasp how we are  all star
stuff.

There is a noticeable change in the pattern of the visitor flow at the
Visitor Center compared to the previous years Yavapai.  At Yavapai, the
visitors arrive mostly by shuttle bus throughout the night while at the VC, all

of the PR and the banner say after sunset, so we get two surges; the part of
the  crowd that isn't in the theater, followed fourty five minutes later by
the  nearly 300 night talk attendees.  No modulation through the night.
So, by 10 PM or so, the crowd has pretty much evaporated.  I'm getting back
from the night talk wrap up around 9 PM, and I miss the good old days of
constant visitors until 11 PM.

After The Dumbbell, I tried some galaxies.  M51 and the supernova
cooperated well, but several scopes were showing it.  I tried the Sombrero  and
Markarian's Chain, but by now they were too low to get good contrast with  the
10".  In the 18", they scream.  I then put the scope on M22.   With the way
the scope is set for maximum visitor flexibility, M13 is at zenith  and the
eyepiece is just too low for comfort.  My ace in the hole is always  M22,
which puts the SCT eyepiece at an easy height for almost everyone.   And it is
plenty large enough!  I did the globular cluster story, another  hit with
the public.

The only remaining visitor was a rather intoxicated individual who hung
around far too long.  We would occasionally hear the pop of another can  from
his backpack opening.  When he pulled out a bright white light and  wouldn't
shut it off, I got pretty nasty.  I thought he'd left, but later I  almost
tripped on him as he sat on the ground near the scope.  Then he  disappeared.

I shut things down, put the OTA in the box, and went to get the  truck.  I
compared notes with Jim and Vicki Palmer as they were packing up  in the bus
lot, and by the time I got back Jessica had the whole site ready to  load.
Gosh, I'll miss the girls next year.

Jim  O'Connor
South Rim Coordinator
Grand Canyon Star Party