[AZ-Observing] Re: North country windstorm

  • From: "Thad Robosson" <starstarcracker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:24:12 -0700

Hey All,

Just adding my views...don't shoot me for it please....

Brian Skiff sez.....
>      First, the wind, per se, does _not_ make the seeing bad.

Ok, maybe there's some different technical definition of "wind" as I'm
pertaining to it, but I've noticed several times where a breeze of a
different temperature comes along and screws up the seeing.  (Ask Tom
Polakis about Vekol.)  I understand that fronts, troughs, etc. are the root
causes, but it still feels like wind on the observing field.

>      Secondly, naked-eye scintillation is not directly correlated with
>     seeing in the telescope (say, as measured by the image-blur size and
>     its motion in small apertures).

Have to agree with Steve.  To me, in my short, amateur astro career, dancing
stars don't preclude great seeing.

>      The seeing is actually pretty predictable, and is shown in simple
>     graphic form extending 36 hours downstream by the well-known 'Clear
Sky
>     Clock' pages.

I've found that a pinch of salt is needed with the Clear Sky Clocks.  For
the most part, it is "generally" correct, but if used with others sources of
info, (and knowing how to interpret that info) one can piece together a
reasonable assessment of pending conditions.  And of course, bloopers like
the weekend of May 30~31 occur and leave bad tastes in peoples mouths....;-(

Please keep in mind that I am not a professional astronomer, nor do I play
one on TV.  As such, my opinions are just that...opinions.  Very interesting
thread BTW....

Thad