[AZ-Observing] Re: Namibia Photos

  • From: Andrew Cooper <siowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:03:20 -0400

Very nice Tom!  The landscape and nightime shots are georgeous.  I envy your
few weeks in such a dark site, even having to live with a brain-fried scope.
If I have a chance to do the same thing I will have to think about adding spare
boards to the equipment list or at least good charts.

The 'fairy circles' are far from unexplained.  The grass simply grows outwards
in stages from a central plant, each sucessive growth stage slightly further
out.  There are a couple grass species in Northern Arizona and Southern Utah
that do the same thing.  Our common creosote bush also does this, usually seen
from the air.  By figuring the size of the ring and the average growth rate
there are some creosote rings that are arguably some of the oldest plants
living.  Type 'creosote ring' into Google.

Andrew