[AZ-Observing] Re: Moving Rocks photo on NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 09:30:16 -0700

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:08:45 -0700, Orman Joe-P27491 wrote:

> My photo of Death Valley's mysterious moving rocks is today's
> Astronomy Picture of the Day:
> http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap020410.html
>
> This photo was taken in November 1987; the person in the background
> is fellow Arizona amateur astronomer Rick Scott.

This link caused me to miss the EVAC meeting.

The linked dissertation is fasicinating.  It includes previous studies
about the movements of the rocks and a very nice intro on how GPS works.
As the dissertation is from 1998, it mentions the advantages of 3-channel
GPS receivers when now days current GPS receivers are 12-channel (the
advantages are still the same, only more so).

        -Paul

messages.  Thanks.