[AZ-Observing] Re: Moretus, Very deep crater

  • From: Tom Polakis <tpolakis@xxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 14:11:06 -0500

---- Dan Heim <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Nice shot Chris!  I looked at the larger image, and the detail is fantastic.
> Very 3D.  I'm guessing you're resolving details on the order of 1/8 to 1/4
> miles.  Do you know?

Dan,

One arcsecond at the moon's distance is roughly one mile.  The best lunar
images by the folks with perfect technique and routinely good seeing resolve
down to just less than a quarter mile.  I think Chris' image shows features
that are less than a mile across.

Regarding 3D lunar imaging, it is possible to use libration to create true 3D
images, which is being done by Yuri Goryachko.  This takes some real patience,
as obtaining the same lighting and favorable libration between images is
typically 6 months.

http://objectstyle.org/astronominsk/Moon/Moon_stereo_en.htm

Tom